I Want a Pizza, and a Website!

But not just any pizza. I want a pepperoni, mushroom, and pineapple pizza. The only problem: my local shop doesn’t sell pepperoni, mushroom, and pineapple pizzas. They do, however, sell pepperoni pizzas. Before you ask, I don’t live anywhere near a takeaway.

I now have a choice to make.

  1. Do I just get the pepperoni pizza? It’ll fill me up, and I’ll still enjoy it.
  2. Do I make it from scratch? I’m already pretty hungry now, and it might take a while.
  3. Do I get the pepperoni pizza, buy some mushrooms and pineapple, and add them before I put it in the oven?

Off-the-shelf vs bespoke

When you are looking for a solution for a business problem, you will at some point wonder “is there already software out there that’ll do this for me?”

Do I just buy the pepperoni pizza?

Off-the-shelf solutions have a lot going for them; they’re generally less expensive, quicker to implement, and – if you choose the correct software – are well-supported. On the downside, there may be recurring licensing fees, lots of features that you don’t need, and not enough features to fulfil your business requirements.

Do I make it from scratch?

Bespoke solutions on the other hand can meet your requirements to the letter. The software can be extended to meet future business needs, and it’s more likely that you can fit it in with any existing legacy software that you use. On the downside, it takes time to build software, the up-front costs can be prohibitive, and you may need ongoing support.

Do I just buy the pepperoni pizza, and add the mushroom and pineapple myself?

Customisable off-the-shelf solutions can bridge the best of both worlds. If you can find one that already fits 80% of your business needs, and have it modified to take care of the other 20%, it can give you a quick start to a project, help keep the cost down, and allow you to be flexible in the future.

So you need a new website…

Not only do you need a new website, but maybe your business also has a unique problem that no off-the-shelf solution can currently solve?

At LEWIS, our website content management system of choice is Umbraco; It’s off-the-shelf, well supported, and overall, a brilliant way to manage content on your website. At the same time, Umbraco allows us to hook into the back-end to create the bespoke functionality for your website that your business needs. To top it all off, we’re also the first agency in Scotland to become a certified Umbraco Gold Partner!

Get in touch

We love to chat, so give us a call on 0131 554 1286 to see how we can help you…or if you’ve lost your voice get in touch via https://www.lewis.co.uk/contact.

And yes, pineapple does belong on pizzas.